Circles Make Tides

I don't usually post messages with my writing, but it has been a minute since I last posted on here! This is mainly becuase I just finished up another busy semester and have had very little free time to write independent of my school work. So, I wanted to share a piece that I have been working on throughout the semester in my advanced poetry class. This piece was is part of my final portfolio for the course and one that I actually wrote while driving home from work one day at the beginning of this quarantine. I won't say much about it other than that it was inspired by disruption of routines or cycles in our daily existence due to the global pandemic. And that perhaps those routines, either the ones that have become broken in recent months or that have completely crumbled, are items in our lives that need rethinking. Cycles that need refreshing.
I hope everyone is happy and healthy! Thank you all for your support <3


Circles Make Tides 


Crashing waves intrude upon the sand
Lapping again and again
Taking hostage the particles 
And holding them,
Thrashing about, 
In the blue palm
Of its cold clutch


The salinity of the water 
Feasts upon the contents
Drifting in the blackening wake
Broken metal and shards of glass
Deposited there by the same invading hands
That erode and return those objects
Back out to sea


The destruction of such things
Becomes essential 
In their death
Comes life for all


How will you die, in the end?


Fighting endlessly for one more breath
Sinking inevitably lower still


Perhaps your lifeless
gas-filled carcass
Will rise to the occasion then
Breaching the surface of the water


Or maybe


You will stay
Suspended 
Somewhere between 
The intrusive hands
And his crushing blue depths 


And you will hear the sound of an Orca whale crying
Swimming ignorantly
Toward a fate as hollow and lonely 
As your own


And so, 
The cycle persists 
In ramparts black and blue.

Comments

Popular Posts